The lining of various products with polyurethane is becoming an increasingly popular way to increase the service life of abrasive units during operation.
Parts such as rollers usually work by rotating, in which the cylindrical surface contacts other parts. By the type of purposes, the following can be distinguished:
4. Rollers of tensioning mechanisms in winding equipment.
The main reason for these units’ failure in most cases is the wear of the outer surface, while the inner metal part and the bearing, if any, remain intact. If the roller surfaces are made of rubber, their restoration in case of abrasion or damage is practically impossible.
Thanks to the polyurethane coating (lining), this problem can be solved. The lining allows you to achieve the following results:
1. The increased service life of the unit due to the excellent wear resistance of polyurethane.
2. The possibility of repairing when the surface is worn out;
3. The ability to restore worn metal rollers instead of replacing them.
4. Coating of polyurethane rollers used for PU Rubber roller printing and packaging.
Choosing the right polyurethane grade
Depending on the purpose of the unit for its lining, a polyurethane grade can be chosen, with a set of characteristics that are most important for the element to perform its functions qualitatively. Polyurethane can be of varying degrees of hardness.
Due to the elasticity of the PU Rubber Rollers Products, the lined rollers retain their geometry under the highest loads (for the glass industry, we produce roller lining with a load of up to 30 tons). Having high resistance to aggressive environments, the polyurethane layer protects the metal base from corrosion.
The thickness of the polymer layer during lining can vary widely. This characteristic also depends on the mode of operation of the node.
The lining process can take place in two ways:
1. By applying polyurethane sheet to a metal element and fixing it with a special adhesive (rarely, there are questions about the quality of the adhesive bond);
2. By application of the required layer pouring polyurethane into the metal frame (the most commonly used method, the advantage is the quality of the adhesive bond, the ability to arbitrarily change the thickness of the polyurethane layer).
3. Spraying can also be used to restore the lined surface in case of damage or wear of individual sections.
It should be noted that solid polyurethanes can be turned on a lathe, so obtaining an ideal cylindrical surface of the required diameter after repair will not be a problem. If necessary, it is also possible to grind the rollers to achieve the smooth surface required, for example, if the rollers are to be used in the printing industry.
It should also be noted that metal embedded inserts are not always required, and it is possible to manufacture rollers entirely from polyurethane of various hardness, oil, and petrol resistance.
The Hredaan elastomers, a leading PU Rubber roller manufacturer, restores worn lined surfaces and manufactures complete assemblies, including polyurethane coating and metal inserts. We can help you extend the life of your equipment and save high costs in repairs and downtime. We carry out all the work ourselves, so the polyurethane layer can have exactly those important properties to the customer.